Freedom Road - Road Facts
- Cost - approximately $62,000 ($58,000 govt. and $4,000 public). This does not include all of the unpaid volunteer hours and donations.
- Took one year and two weeks to build.
- Is 76km (48miles) from Anahim Lake to the bottom of The Hill.
- Has a total of 3 switchbacks.
- Is 21 km ( 13 miles) from the Gate at the bottom to the Gate at Heckman Pass Summit.
- The first 6.4 km (4 miles) climbs 1,219.2 meters (4,000 ft).
- Total elevation 1,828.8 meters (6,000 ft).
- Grades up to 18%.
- Time to travel from the bottom of the hill to Anahim Lake, forty-five minutes to one hour depending on many things.
- Road closures happen seldom and are due to:
- Rock Slide
Public Works Minister P.A. (Phil) Gaglardi officially opened Highway 20 two years after completion, it became the third outlet to the Pacific Ocean.